- BIML Christian Book Collection
- Batad Ifugao Dictionary with Ethnographic Notes compiled by Leonard E. Newell, Summer Institute of Linguistics / Special Monograph Issue, Number 33
Batad Ifugao Dictionary with Ethnographic Notes compiled by Leonard E. Newell, Summer Institute of Linguistics / Special Monograph Issue, Number 33
Batad Ifugao Dictionary with Ethnographic Notes
Compiled by Leonard E. Newell, Summer Institute of Linguistics
Special Monograph Issue, Number 33
Ifugao Language Consultant: Francis Bon’og Poligon
Foreword by Harold C. Conklin
PUBLISHER: Linguistic Society of Philippines
SECOND PRINTING 2005
FIRST PRINTING 1993
Ifugao or Batad is a Malayo-Polynesian language spoken in the northern valleys of Ifugao, Philippines. It is a member of the Northern Luzon subfamily and is closely related to the Bontoc and Kankanaey languages. It is a dialect continuum, and its four main varieties—such as Tuwali—are sometimes considered separate languages.
Loanwords from other languages, such as the Ilocano language, are replacing some older terminology.
Ethnologue reports the following locations for each of the 4 Ifugao languages.
- Amganad Ifugao: spoken in Hungduan and Banaue municipalities of Ifugao Province, and into southwestern Mountain Province. 27,100 speakers as of 2000. Dialects are Burnay Ifugao and Banaue Ifugao.
- Batad Ifugao (Ayangan Ifugao): spoken in central Ifugao Province. There are also some speakers in Isabela Province, on the eastern shore of the Magat reservoir. 10,100 speakers as of 2002. Dialects include Ducligan Ifugao.
- Mayoyao Ifugao (Mayaoyaw): spoken in Ifugao Province, (northern Mayoyao, Aguinaldo, and Alfonso Lista municipalities) and Mountain Province (2 small border areas). 30,000 speakers as of 2007.
- Tuwali Ifugao (Gilipanes, Ifugaw, Kiangan Ifugao, Quiangan, Tuwali): spoken in southern Ifugao Province. 30,000 speakers as of 2000. Dialects are Hapao Ifugao, Hungduan Ifugao, and Lagawe Ifugao.
|(130,000 cited 1987–2007)|
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!