Youssou N'Dour – Egypt / Nonesuch Audio CD 2004 / 7559-79694-2
Egypt is a Grammy Award-winning album by the Senegalese musician Youssou N'Dour, on which he is accompanied by the Egyptian Fathy Salama Orchestra. By incorporating Arabic influences and focusing on Muslim religious themes, the album was a departure from previous N'Dour releases. In the original Senegalese release, it was named Sant Allah (Thanks to God).
The album was largely recorded in 1999 in Dakar, Senegal, and was originally slated for release as early as 2001, but was delayed until 2004 to avoid any association with the September 11 attacks. Additional overdubs of oud and traditional orchestra were done in Cairo, Egypt, where N'Dour's quartet was joined by the Fathy Salama Orchestra for most songs.
On this album, N'Dour combines both West African and North African musical influences. The record uses instruments from both regions, such as the West African kora and the Arab oud.
The lyrics are in praise of Mouride Sufism, a Senegalese order of Islam to which N'Dour belongs. The songs are sung in Wolof, with the last song incorporating more French loanwords than the rest of the album, and are mostly dedicated to marabouts of the Muslim brotherhoods of Senegal, such as Amadou Bamba, the founder of the Mouride brotherhood.
The album is named as a tribute to Egyptian singer Umm Kulthum, who was a favorite of N'Dour's father and influenced N'Dour as a child.
|Label:||Nonesuch – 7559-79694-2|
|Genre:||Folk, World, & Country|
|6||Bamba The Poet||3:51|
|7||Cheikh Ibra Fall||3:35|
|8||Touba - Daru Salaam
- Backing Vocals – Kabou Guèye, Mama Guèye, Souka Guèye
- Design – Frank Olinsky
- Executive-Producer – Birame Ndiaye
- Finger Cymbals – Ahmed El Gazar
- Flute [Kawala] – Abdallah Helmy
- Instruments [Arghul] – Mostafa Abd El Azeez
- Instruments [Magruna] – Shibl
- Kora – Babou Laye
- Lead Vocals – Youssou N'Dour
- Management [Score Manager] – Hassan Khaleel
- Mastered By – Robert C. Ludwig
- Mixed By – Philippe Brun (2)
- Mizmar – Hasaneen Hendy
- Oud – Mamdouh El Gibally
- Percussion [Doholla] – Ayman Sedky
- Percussion [Various Gulf Percussion] – Yaser Mal Allah
- Percussion [Various Senegalese Percussion] – Mbaye Dieye Faye
- Percussion [Various Senegalese Percussion], Backing Vocals – Beugue Fallou Ensemble
- Photography By – Véronique Rolland
- Producer, Arranged By, Conductor – Fathy Salama
- Producer, Written By – Youssou N'Dour
- Rabab – Shaker
- Recorded By – Ndiaga N'Dour, Segui Niang, Khalid Ra'ouf, Alaa El-Kashif
- Tabla – Ramadan Mansoor
- Violin [Bass Violin] – Vassily (3), Bisheer Ewees
- Violin [First Violin] – Yuri Kablotsky, Midhat Abd El Sameeh
- Written By – Kabou Gueye
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!